RE: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???
- From: "Adrian Marsden" <amarsden@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 04:49:18 -0500
I believe you will find there is a setting that tells a Win2k server to try TCP if UDP fails for DNS resolution. Maybe the UDP was failing and the box was doing as it was told.
From: Alex [mailto:incidents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 3/24/2006 1:53 AM
Subject: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???
I recently ran "netstat" on my personal laptop (running Win2k) and was
shocked to see that it had been making TCP connections to the root servers
(to their domain port). I know that some DNS queries are performed using
TCP, but I find it somewhat disturbing that the root servers were
I did a little googling and found a few remarks that Win2k machines
sometimes do this... But mine has the lastest updates....
So I'm a little concerned. Is this normal operation for a win2k machine,
or could something more amiss be going on? Norton Antivirus and SpyBot
Search & Destory didn't find anything wrong.
(I realize this is probably a normal thing, but I still find it
- Prev by Date: Internet SSH scans thread
- Next by Date: Re: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???
- Previous by thread: Re: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???
- Next by thread: Re: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???