RE: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???

I believe you will find there is a setting that tells a Win2k server to try TCP if UDP fails for DNS resolution. Maybe the UDP was failing and the box was doing as it was told.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex [mailto:incidents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 3/24/2006 1:53 AM
To: incidents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Win2k Machine contacting Root Server???

Hi,

I recently ran "netstat" on my personal laptop (running Win2k) and was
shocked to see that it had been making TCP connections to the root servers
(to their domain port). I know that some DNS queries are performed using
TCP, but I find it somewhat disturbing that the root servers were
involved.

I did a little googling and found a few remarks that Win2k machines
sometimes do this... But mine has the lastest updates....

So I'm a little concerned. Is this normal operation for a win2k machine,
or could something more amiss be going on? Norton Antivirus and SpyBot
Search & Destory didn't find anything wrong.

Thanks

-Alex

(I realize this is probably a normal thing, but I still find it
disturbing)

Relevant Pages

  • MAD.exe domain controllers not responding.
    ... DC1 is win2k sp3 and runs FSMO roles RID, scheme, domain name, GC. ... DC3 is win2k sp4 and runs FSMO role PCD em and is also a GC. ... My exchange servers both report Event id 2102 errors stating that the DC's ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.active.directory.integration)
  • Re: Moving NT4 based PDC and BDC to Win2k
    ... The "easiest" way to move to AD is to just upgrade your pdc. ... > We are totally Win2k with the exception of our PDC and BDC ... We are planning on retiring these servers ...
  • Re: _msdcs. - Help Pls
    ... replication scope anywhere. ... Let me give a brief scenario about the ROOT1 and ROOT2 servers (These are ... Win2K SP4 servers). ... Zone Transfer - To any server (which was the previous settings in our Win2K ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Securing a Win2k DNS server outside firewall...
    ... Securing a Win2k DNS server outside firewall... ... I have 2 Windows 2000 DNS servers sitting on the outside of our firewall. ... When running a port scan against these servers, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • hyperthreaded processors running on win2k
    ... of them are running Win2k standard server and are ... web servers, and 3 of them are win2k advanced servers running SQL Server ... These servers have dual Xeons, so if hyperthreading is on, win2k sees 4 ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)