RE: Possible AIM Hack?

It could just be that they had a service outage - they've happened before...

-----Original Message-----
From: belka@xxxxxxx [mailto:belka@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:57 AM
To: incidents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Possible AIM Hack?

Here is the gist of what happened:

March 8th, while using AIM, it logs me off. When I try to log back in, it
tells me my password is incorrect. When I try to rest the passowrd, I
receive no password rest message. It is as if the hack changes the account
e-mail at the same time to prevent password rest. Lastly, I went to create
a new AIM account -- but without success. The error message tells me that
the service is temporarily unavailable. I tried from several computers, and
from different places, to no avail. As of 09:11 CST (-6GMT) AIM will still
not allow new accounts to be set up.

I haven't seen any news from any source about an AIM hack, but I have heard
anecdotally from my college aged kids that several of their friends were
also affected around the same time period and most have not been able to
establish new AIM accounts.

Is any one else seeing any kind of similar activity/results surrounding AIM?
Or am I just a victim of a series of unfortunate events?

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Possible AIM Hack?
    ... I can log into my AIM account with 3 different passwords...was wondering if anyone else noticed this too? ... Subject: Possible AIM Hack? ... account e-mail at the same time to prevent password rest. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Possible AIM Hack?
    ... If you have access to the e-mail address for which the account is registered you can request the current password or reset the password. ... March 8th, while using AIM, it logs me off. ... It is as if the hack changes the account e-mail at the same time to prevent password rest. ... I haven't seen any news from any source about an AIM hack, but I have heard anecdotally from my college aged kids that several of their friends were also affected around the same time period and most have not been able to establish new AIM accounts. ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: Possible AIM Hack?
    ... I'm logging into the same account using 2 very different passwords as we speak. ... Subject: Possible AIM Hack? ...
    (Incidents)
  • Possible AIM Hack?
    ... I haven't seen any news from any source about an AIM hack, but I have heard anecdotally from my college aged kids that several of their friends were also affected around the same time period and most have not been able to establish new AIM accounts. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: [Fwd: Re: AIM Password theft]
    ... AIM account to deliver the link is. ... Thank you for using the AOL Instant Messengerservice. ... AOL or incidents lists have yet to ...
    (Incidents)