From: David Gillett [mailto:gillettdavid@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:57 AM
To: incidents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bizarre traffic

Does anybody know of anything (malware, hackware, other?)
that would cause a machine to put out traffic with the first
octet of the destination address (re)set to ZERO?

The traffic I saw all was headed for port 443, and wasn't
decipherable. The variation in packet size looked like a
real conversation, although return packets (if any) weren't
passing my sniffer. The destination addresses, sans the
bogus first octet, looked like addresses of a couple of real
internal servers (source address was internal) -- which,
however, do not have HTTPS service active.

[This traffic correlated with various intermittent
disruptions of our network, which stopped when the source
machine dropped off the network. It later reappeared -- and
so did a brief disruption -- long enough for me to pinpoint
and ban it.]

David Gillett

Relevant Pages

  • Re: File Transfer and WinSock
    ... I'm supplying an IP address and port so would that mean TCP/IP? ... a sniffer on my network to check this out and I see WRONG DATA is being sent ...
  • RE: Outgoing Port Check
    ... run nmap on the inside. ... One the sniffer, limit the sniffing to the host ... Subject: Outgoing Port Check ... Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: xmlrpc problems
    ... When I run your server and client I ... for "sniffer.connect" returns a Sniffer object, ... @port = port ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • ftp was hacked
    ... a sniffer and a port scanner on my machine. ... port scans coming from my machine and wanted to know what was going on. ... A few days later I wanted to install a later version of hdparm. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • RE: sniffer in promiscuous mode
    ... Are you in a switched environment? ... traffic from one port to another) so the port with the sniffer gets copies ... Subject: sniffer in promiscuous mode ... Is there something else I have to do to capture TCP packets? ...
    (Security-Basics)