Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Tomasz Papszun (tomek-incid_at_lodz.tpsa.pl)
Date: 11/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:03:53 +0100
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 at 10:31:22 -0500, Manuel Lanctot wrote:
    > Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >
    > >Very doubtful. I'm not aware of any law that forbids even portscans,
    > >
    > >much less network troubleshooting or the use of tools like nmap in
    > >general.
    >
    > I can't find the related articles but I remember reading something about
    > a man who was arrested after portscanning a website because he donated
    > for a relief fund (after Katrina) and suspected it was a scam. I don't
    > remember if he was indeed charged but he was at least arrested, which is
    > pretty scary.

    And he (Daniel Cuthbert) did _not_ scanned the website, just tried a
    directory traversal (entering "higher" directories) by putting ../../../
    in his browser URL field.

    http://taint.org/index.php?tag=ids
    http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/008118.html
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39226548,00.htm