Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Disco Jonny (discojonny_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:10:33 +0000
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    Well, common sense would agree with you. but in the UK it is all about intent.

    case law would also seem to suggest that it is not the intent of the
    attack that is involved, it would seem to be more the intent that the
    vitim percives... (not knowing much about law i do not know how this
    scans across to other sections of the law.)

    An example is: -

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39226548,00.htm

    I dont know how this relates across international borders or in other countries.

    i dunno though, just my 2p

    Cheers

    S.

    On 11/16/05, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
    > On 2005-11-14 Levenglick, Jeff wrote:
    > > I would not run nmap against someone else, you could find yourself in
    > > legal trouble.
    >
    > Very doubtful. I'm not aware of any law that forbids even portscans,
    > much less network troubleshooting or the use of tools like nmap in
    > general.
    >
    > Regards
    > Ansgar Wiechers
    > --
    > "Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
    > erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."
    > --http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

    • Re: OT - What if the doctors...
      ... changing the law, or changing the Constitution. ... anywhere other than original intent is inappropriate. ...
      (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
    • RE: application for an employment
      ... in EU law and International commercial law. ... but only actionable if there is resultant damage. ... this is not as far as I have been concerned a private ... intent for the A 2.5 issues. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Headbutts...
      ... The laws of the game seem to differ. ... >I am entitled to my opinion, ... >>Its worrying that you might have to interpret the law as part of your job. ... If that was the case surely intent would have been mentioned dont you ...
      (uk.sport.football.clubs.rangers)
    • Re: Obama to sign hate crimes bill . . .
      ... between deliberate crimes, ... I think it's fair enough to state "criminal law deals with injury to ... To the family, the victim of manslaughter is, as you say, just as dead ... intent to commit the crime must be present in order to punish it. ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Re: Create an E-annoyance, go to jail
      ... It will be very hard to prove an Intent to ... e-mailing someone's employer with the Intent to harass them by getting them ... President Bush signed into law a prohibition ... > buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice ...
      (alt.security.alarms)