Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (bugtraq_at_planetcobalt.net)
Date: 11/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:00:14 +0100
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    On 2005-11-16 Levenglick, Jeff wrote:
    > You scanning someone else without their permission is not network
    > trouble shooting.

    That's a completely unfounded assertion. First of all, I don't need
    anyone's permission to to a scan. Period. It's a common but nonetheless
    wrong claim that a scan (which is merely a way to determine which
    services are running on a specific host) would require someone's
    permission. Second, you can use nmap in several ways. You may very well
    probe one specific service instead of running a full-scale scan. Third,
    finding out what causes specific (suspicious) entries in my logs
    qualifies very well as network troubleshooting. At least in my book.

    > The law is very open. Yes, there is nothing on nmap,

    There's not only nothing on nmap, but nothing on port-scanners or port-
    scanning in general.

    > but isp's have usage statements that target server and hacking tools.
    > (Ie: a home user is not supposed to use their line for a server....
    > ect)

    Not every ISP has theses statements, and anyone who agrees to conditions
    like that deserves what they get. Besides, the terms of an ISP contract
    hardly qualify as "legal trouble".

    > You can pretty much call any isp and complain about a scan and have them
    > warn or suspend an account. Granted, it needs to be a valid scan, not a
    > quick few second random scan.

    If my ISP would suspend my account because of someone complaining about
    a portscan, they'd find themselves in court faster than they can spell
    "lawsuit".

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers

    P.S.: Please don't CC me, I do read this list.

    --
    "Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
    erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."