Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (bugtraq_at_planetcobalt.net)
Date: 11/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:00:14 +0100
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    On 2005-11-16 Levenglick, Jeff wrote:
    > You scanning someone else without their permission is not network
    > trouble shooting.

    That's a completely unfounded assertion. First of all, I don't need
    anyone's permission to to a scan. Period. It's a common but nonetheless
    wrong claim that a scan (which is merely a way to determine which
    services are running on a specific host) would require someone's
    permission. Second, you can use nmap in several ways. You may very well
    probe one specific service instead of running a full-scale scan. Third,
    finding out what causes specific (suspicious) entries in my logs
    qualifies very well as network troubleshooting. At least in my book.

    > The law is very open. Yes, there is nothing on nmap,

    There's not only nothing on nmap, but nothing on port-scanners or port-
    scanning in general.

    > but isp's have usage statements that target server and hacking tools.
    > (Ie: a home user is not supposed to use their line for a server....
    > ect)

    Not every ISP has theses statements, and anyone who agrees to conditions
    like that deserves what they get. Besides, the terms of an ISP contract
    hardly qualify as "legal trouble".

    > You can pretty much call any isp and complain about a scan and have them
    > warn or suspend an account. Granted, it needs to be a valid scan, not a
    > quick few second random scan.

    If my ISP would suspend my account because of someone complaining about
    a portscan, they'd find themselves in court faster than they can spell
    "lawsuit".

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers

    P.S.: Please don't CC me, I do read this list.

    --
    "Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
    erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."

    • Re: Windows Gone Wild
      ... business network and I just realized I'm running Windows XP Pro if that makes ... If you have to get permission to try that link, you may also have an IT department who have the responsibility for keeping your system functioning. ... > fritz all over my windows files and some programs. ... > one server and mine is on the other, we never had trouble sending and ...
    • Re: Logon Server Unavailable
      ... I'd put money on this that you have a DNS name resolution issue...for ... The server is not configured for transactions" ... > "Access Denied" Message When Opening from or Saving to a Network Folder ... You may not have permission to use this network resource" ...
    • Re: Logon Server Unavailable
      ... I'd put money on this that you have a DNS name resolution issue...for ... The server is not configured for transactions" ... > "Access Denied" Message When Opening from or Saving to a Network Folder ... You may not have permission to use this network resource" ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
    • Re: Logon Server Unavailable
      ... I'd put money on this that you have a DNS name resolution issue...for ... The server is not configured for transactions" ... > "Access Denied" Message When Opening from or Saving to a Network Folder ... You may not have permission to use this network resource" ...
    • Re: Hypothesis Sought...
      ... because you have no way of knowing that you're stealing services. ... for them and you do not have permission to use them? ... public service - it is that simple really. ... If the network is controlled by a malicious agent ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)