Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Barrie Dempster (barrie_at_reboot-robot.net)
Date: 11/16/05

    To: kgp@nethere.com
    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:18:23 +0000

    On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:33 -0800, kgp@nethere.com wrote:
    > Just to reiterate, I'd simply dig or nslookup the ip addresses (or use one
    > of the many nslookup webpages) and see if they have some contact info.

    Mike, have you done this yet and have you received any replies ?

    > Really all you care about at this point is passing off some information to
    > the admin that it looks like he has some nefarious activity on his network.
    > You might also want to give him your ip address (and maybe mac)

    Just the IP address, the MAC address wouldn't be in any logs on the
    remote servers since they wouldn't see the MAC address. MAC addresses
    don't travel that far their realm is the local segment.

    --
    With Regards..
    Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

    • Re: Network connections oddity
      ... nslookup wouldn't work if that were the case. ... Mac OS X NOTICE ... or the DNS query routing mechanisms used by other processes running on ... The results of name or address queries printed by nslookup ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: Paradoxes Verhalten bei =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Namensaufl=F6sung?=
      ... Lesart: got "recursion not available" from 192.168.30.29). ... Bzw. nslookup stellt sich hier offensichtlich doof, denn via Browser funktioniert ja die Abfrage und auf den Windowsrechnern hinter dem besagten Linuxrechner wird die Antwort auch korrekt geliefert. ... Wenn ich auf dem Mac seinen eigenen DNS-Server laufen habe, taucht dieses Problem auf seiten des fragenden Linuxrechners auf. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: OSX non mi risolve dei virtual host interni alla rete
      ... Nel terminale della macchina OS X, ... Mac OS X NOTICE ... The nslookup command does not use the host name and address ...
      (it.comp.macintosh)
    • Re: Odd identd behavior
      ... > Just to reiterate, I'd simply dig or nslookup the ip addresses (or use ... > one of the many nslookup webpages) and see if they have some contact ... MAC address is irrelevant here, since it's only used on the ethernet ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Apple Care.....
      ... why does everything have to be seen as a dig? ... anti Mac one for that matter). ... exports as aiff, I assume the windows one exports as wav, I didn't try). ... I have never actually had to deal with apple over a laptop (well, ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)