Re: Dismantling Botnets?

From: Jerry Dixon (jerry.dixon_at_jhu.edu)
Date: 10/27/05

    Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:59:38 -0400
    To: Thorsten Holz <thorsten.holz@mmweg.rwth-aachen.de>

    >Presumably the best documented case in this area is "operation
    >cyberslam" (http://www.reverse.net/operationcyberslam.pdf).
    >Unfortunately, most of the time the authorities don't prosecute the
    >attackers...
    >

    >>Is there a place where current information can be given and it will
    >>truly be investigated and action will be taken?

    If you report the information to us at US-CERT
    (http://www.us-cert.gov/security/) We'll take action on it. If its
    based outside the United States we will work with our International
    peers to get action on them as well.

    Jerry

    • Re: How to stop a hacker?
      ... That is because amongst other authorities, Interpol has better things to do, ... slavery and prostitution investigations. ... >> Portugal to the Portuguese authorities, ... >> and prosecute him/her? ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Stand your ground in florida: Another case.
      ... apply if the shooter is a Non-black? ... So in one case the authorities are racist because they didn't act fast enough to prosecute in the case of a killing of a black man. ...
      (rec.sport.football.college)
    • Re: Real post - The Joyce Hatto Story
      ... I don't care if he ever faces civil penalties. ... holders of the copyrights he violated prosecute him civilly or criminally. ... snail mail several copies to the authorities involved. ...
      (rec.music.classical.recordings)
    • Re: The other side of the "parents stopped from photographing their own children" coin
      ... Apparently the authorities agree, candid photos of naked children are ... not indecent. ... I'm aware that deciding not to prosecute sets no *legal* ... But ISTM that, although unlikely, it's possible that the exact same ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: Illegal to have sex with a 16-year-old abroad...
      ... virtue of being a UK passport holder, the UK authorities can chose to ... prosecute the individual. ... as a UK 'citizen' UK law applies to you no matter where in the world ...
      (uk.legal)