Re: Disassembling botnets

From: Felikz (securityfocus_at_felikz.net)
Date: 04/06/05

    Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:00:54 +0100
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    If you are, or the attack is coming from or via the UK, then the NHTCU
    would be a place to start.

    http://www.nhtcu.org/

    P.B. Wagenaar wrote:

    >Hi Commander Z!
    >
    >Well it isn't your job to disable the botnet and close down irc servers. All
    >you can do is inform the ISP and report this all to the police. You are
    >right if you say that all this won't do you any good.
    >
    >If you want to see some 'action', you should start a civil case against the
    >ISP hosting the IRC network. It might sound wrong, but this will wake the
    >ISP up and they will take the matter very seriously. Ofcourse you don't want
    >to make the ISP pay for what some hacker did, but this might make them go
    >after the hacker behind the botnet.
    >
    >Send them a bill for your damages and wait for their response.
    >
    >Philip Wagenaar

    • RE: Disassembling botnets
      ... Well it isn't your job to disable the botnet and close down irc servers. ... ISP hosting the IRC network. ... little further into the attack source. ... I found the DNS name of the IRC server ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: DOS attack logged by Netgear router DG836G
      ... *** During these 10 hrs no PC was powered on, but the router is ... But basically you're screwed over for the duration of the attack. ... inside the ISP helped to get it blocked, or going with an ISP that ... Over to you to run a zillion name/password combos on the telnet port :-) ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: Question about rsync
      ... server, through your switches and gateways on to your ISP, through the ... internet infrastructure, and back out at the other side" ... methodof attack as you. ... - the idea that you *always* need strong encryption for any transfer can ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Web site being attacked!
      ... My advice is to contact the ISP that owns the IP address of the attacker ... block the attacks, until the attack patterns change again. ... Yes, you want "IISlockdown" which contains URLscan, install all microsoft ... The Netscreen 5XP is a real commercial grade firewall with the same features ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Dealing with script kiddies
      ... If I get a repeated attack ... and if I'm pissed because the bagel place was out of garlic ... >> to law enforcement networks, including the FBI, so I can let the ISP ... > security, not the technical side, so I'm not always _au courant_ with the ...