Re: Odd typing in MSWord

From: Jeff Garrett (jgarrett_at_home.highvision.net)
Date: 03/04/05

    Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:06:29 -0500 (EST)
    To: Federated Information Security <FederatedInformationSecurity@federatedinv.com>

    i've seen this before, several times, and thought exactly as you

    each time, much to my feelings of foolishness, it was a key being pressed
    or sticking (key or keys)

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Federated Information Security wrote:

    > I ran across something rather odd today I'm hoping someone might have
    > thoughts on. One of my users had their XP SP1 laptop on the corporate
    > network and was editing a Word document with office 2002. They pasted
    > something in a table, and it looked like someone started typing in their
    > document. It was slow, typical typing speed, and lasted for about 10
    > minutes (I actually got a chance to see it). The text was nonsense
    > words, like the kind you often see in spam nowadays.
    >
    > The machine's fully patched, up-to-date anti-virus and a personal
    > firewall. Don't see any signs of spyware, nothing in the registry. I
    > checked all the files modified today hoping to find a keylogger or
    > something similar, and the only thing I found was a seemingly encrypted
    > file on the root of c:\ called "comply.ini", which isn't normal for our
    > config, but may not be related. IE was open at the time this happened.
    > I issued a netstat -a command while the typing was going on, but all the
    > connections were legit--domain controller, file & print servers. I
    > checked the running processes and everything seemed pretty typical,
    > although I hit
    >
    > Anyone run across anything similar lately, or have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > sid

    • Re: Return focus to word and Activate
      ... How about activating the Word document itself? ... Word 2007, the Word doc becomes visible and the cursor is visible, but you ... If you start typing before you click with the mouse in the Word doc, ... you are typing on the msAccess form that was on the screen when the ...
      (microsoft.public.word.vba.beginners)
    • Re: I cant view what I pasted into Word document
      ... then you might want to check the website of the manufacturer of your video card/graphics adapter to see if there is an updated driver available. ... software and paste them into a Word document. ... Now when I open any document with screen prints in it, ... Then as soon as I start typing below the image, ...
      (microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics)
    • Re: Odd typing in MSWord
      ... Are root kits 'that' new or are the bad guys just getting a smidge smarter? ... >Subject: Odd typing in MSWord ... >network and was editing a Word document with office 2002. ... Chapter 4 of The Complete Patch Management Book: ...
      (Incidents)
    • Odd typing in MSWord
      ... One of my users had their XP SP1 laptop on the corporate ... network and was editing a Word document with office 2002. ... It was slow, typical typing speed, and lasted for about 10 ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: MAN UP CHARLIE KERR
      ... at the foolishness of the whole situation. ... It was pretty funny. ... keep typing it that way over and over so I have to assume it's not a ... most other states use teethbrushes. ...
      (rec.sport.disc)