SSH probe attack afoot?

From: Bernie Cosell (bernie_at_fantasyfarm.com)
Date: 02/06/05

    To: incidents@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:09:42 -0500

    We're now getting hammered with the third round of ssh probes in the last
    four days [one from CA, one from Brazil and one from Virginia]. I was
    wondering: is there some virus or the like floating around now that
    leaves an ssh-hammering zombie in its wake? Or is it just coincidental
    that we have gotten three floods?

    [the probes are just dozens of random-seeming login attempts with a bunch
    of root-password-guesses interspersed]

      /Bernie\

    mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA