Re: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

lightweb_at_adelphia.net
Date: 01/08/05

    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:28:32 -0500
    To: keydet89@yahoo.com

    > Having dealt with a great many spyware infections,
    > I've successfully removed all of those that were
    > identified with no negative side effects. I've never
    > had to have a workstation rebuilt.
    >
    > I think that it would behoove the list and this effort
    > in general if you could be a bit more specific about
    > the conditions under which a removal damaged a
    > workstation. For example, was the removal done by
    > hand? If not, and a tool was used, which tool was it,
    > and which bit of spyware was involved?

    I have been working a case where I removed the ad/spyware using adaware. after removing what was found ( vx2, claria, mysearchbar, and about 10 others don't have the system here as the customer wanted it back for a few days ) and rebooting. clicking on the IE icon it took 2 + minutes for the browser to open up. restored the quarantined files IE opens up in 4 - 5 seconds. I wasn't able to narrow down which spyware was causing this before the customer needed to take the machine.

    I should have it back the first of the week and will post an update.

    Alan Page