RE: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: Dave Dennis (dmd_at_speakeasy.org)
Date: 01/07/05

    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:54:06 -0800 (PST)
    To: "Paris E. Stone" <pstone@alhurra.com>

    Run a firewall.

    Hardware firewall preferably. If its Windows and its not firewalled, its
    going to be owned.

    Any Windows box is going to have unpatched potential open vulnerabilities.
    the '20 minutes windows' concept applies. (an unpatched Windows host
    takes 20 minutes to be infected on a broadband connection, and it takes longer
    than that to download/patch a new Windows install)

    If they're on broadband, and they are running Windows, they have to have a
    firewall; hardware preferably, service pack 2 if possible, close all unnecessary
    ports that Windows often ships with open still (135 Messenger, 137, 139, 445).

    Otherwise running any A/V will still miss some things, A/V is essential, but A/V
    without firewalling still gets infected sooner or later, and the browser/toolbar
    ideas are great too, but only to prevent vectors introduced by the browser,
    not to prevent being infected by drive-by portscanning, which is rampant
    nowadays.

    + Dave Dennis
    + Seattle, WA
    + dmd@speakeasy.org