Re: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: Chris Krough (ckrough_at_vet.upenn.edu)
Date: 01/07/05

    Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:06:56 -0500

    Following the concept of least privilege is very effective at preventing
    spyware installation. We've reduced the access level of most of our
    users to 'Domain User'. For users who require frequent administrative
    access we provide them with a secondary, preferably local only,
    administrative account. For users with occasional administrative needs
    we either upgrade their account temporarily or just perform the
    installation/changes ourselves. This practice has almost completely
    eliminated spyware problems from our network.

    Depending on your users needs there is a good chance that lowering
    default account privileges will increase the load on your support staff.
    Installations and low-level configuration changes will require attention
    from someone with administrative privileges but the time saved over
    handling spyware/virus incidents is greater.

    Have you upgraded your clients to XP SP2?