Re: DoS attack... what to do?

From: Steve Friedl (steve_at_unixwiz.net)
Date: 01/04/05

    Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:12:22 -0800
    To: "Shaffer, Bruce" <BShaffer@PRAC.com>

    On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:19:14PM -0500, Shaffer, Bruce wrote:
    > About the only thing you can do for a DDoS is to work with your ISP to
    > control things on his net. They should be more than happy to work with you
    > as this affects their performance and resources including their SLAs.

    Actually, many ISPs are not terribly happy to "work with you", as "their
    time" is a resource just as much as their bandwidth is, and this often
    requires the attention of the most senior people. Customers who repeatedly
    get DoS'd often find themselves invited to take their business elsewhere.

    > Now the question is: Who did you piss off?

    Same thing I asked him :-)

    Steve

    ---
    Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant | UNIX Wizard | +1 714 544-6561
    www.unixwiz.net | Tustin, Calif. USA | Microsoft MVP | steve@unixwiz.net

    • Re: Active Directory Questions
      ... >> You DHCP should never be providing ANYTHING to the ISP, ... You never use these to control and grant access to resources? ... I'm setting up the new server as if there was no server ... The purpose of a domain is to make sharing of resources among users ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Access to Vigay.com
      ... Today I tried to access viagy.com to find some RISC OS resources only ... This is on the basis on Phorm's introduction to this ISP as well as ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
    • Re: Hidden Text Field Occasionally Missing Data on Postback
      ... by the ISP that were issued after the 1.1. ... 'Lets PreRender know that a control event caused postback ... for repositioning logic executed on the server postback. ...
    • Re: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns
      ... > Mason, I do not think Marcus was beating up on you personally, and I ... that of a tech within an ISP. ... you have no control over, your solution is doomed to failure. ... have control over and those that are cooperating, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Equipment Questions - Modem/Router
      ... I did purchase my own router and have set ... combo I had been renting from my ISP. ... control of my own system either. ... We are considering buying our own equipment. ...