Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 12/01/04

    To: gillettdavid@fhda.edu
    Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:32:25 -0500

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:11:29 PST, David Gillett said:

    > I help run a multicampus network of about 6000 nodes, with a very
    > healthy set of DNS servers thank you very much. It's annoying, to
    > say the least, when clueless users start spewing multicast all over
    > it because Apple said it was okay to do that, and I'm extremely
    > disappointed by the implication that the IETF is blessing this.

    The fact that the IETF blessed a protocol for use in one environment and then
    idiots try to use it for other things is not news.

    Witness the fact that by some estimates, 98% of the traffic at the root name
    servers is due to queries from sites that can't do the DNS protocol correctly
    (for starters, some 30% have source addresses in rfc1918 space that leak out).

    http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0310/wessels.html
    http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0202/evi.html

    I'm not sure what the IETF can do other than try to urge the production of more
    rfc1925-compliant liveware. Suggestions that network issues could be cured by
    the application of chlorine to the gene pool are routinely rejected as an
    operational issue not a protocol issue.. ;)

    • Re: RDS: no freely available protocol specification?
      ... protocol specification. ... I'm not the IETF, but it is my understanding that rough consensus is ... current state cannot possibly achieve IETF consensus, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: recursive DNS servers DDoS as a growing DDoS problem
      ... of dns servers you can use? ... protocol now but, going foreward, I think that we do ... amplification, and that is likely to be available to the ... can prove that it's actually able to receive the packets ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: ssh.com FUD
      ... > (SSH2) protocol specifications, originally developed by SSH ... > Communications Security and standardized by the IETF. ... > "standardize" SCS's work as given. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)