Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network
Date: 12/01/04

    Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:32:25 -0500

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:11:29 PST, David Gillett said:

    > I help run a multicampus network of about 6000 nodes, with a very
    > healthy set of DNS servers thank you very much. It's annoying, to
    > say the least, when clueless users start spewing multicast all over
    > it because Apple said it was okay to do that, and I'm extremely
    > disappointed by the implication that the IETF is blessing this.

    The fact that the IETF blessed a protocol for use in one environment and then
    idiots try to use it for other things is not news.

    Witness the fact that by some estimates, 98% of the traffic at the root name
    servers is due to queries from sites that can't do the DNS protocol correctly
    (for starters, some 30% have source addresses in rfc1918 space that leak out).

    I'm not sure what the IETF can do other than try to urge the production of more
    rfc1925-compliant liveware. Suggestions that network issues could be cured by
    the application of chlorine to the gene pool are routinely rejected as an
    operational issue not a protocol issue.. ;)

    • Re: RDS: no freely available protocol specification?
      ... protocol specification. ... I'm not the IETF, but it is my understanding that rough consensus is ... current state cannot possibly achieve IETF consensus, ...
    • Re: recursive DNS servers DDoS as a growing DDoS problem
      ... of dns servers you can use? ... protocol now but, going foreward, I think that we do ... amplification, and that is likely to be available to the ... can prove that it's actually able to receive the packets ...
    • Re: FUD
      ... > (SSH2) protocol specifications, originally developed by SSH ... > Communications Security and standardized by the IETF. ... > "standardize" SCS's work as given. ...