Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 11/25/04

    To: Ron <iago@valhallalegends.com>
    Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:39:36 -0500

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:25:06 CST, Ron said:
    > Windows computers, and some routers, have an obsession with sending
    > traffic to "239.255.255.253" for something to do with upnp
    > connectivity.

    Yes, that's the address that the plug-and-play firewall stuff uses, for
    the benefit of malware that just finished doing a 'Shields DOWN!' for the
    local host firewall and A/V functionality, and now needs to do the same
    for the firewall appliance that's stopping its attempts at world domination. ;)

    (Am I the only person who thinks that the *very last* feature you want in a
    firewall is plug-and-play configuration support? ;)

    • Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
      ... How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer ... Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons, any real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application, disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the Windows Firewall. ... no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. ... However, if System Restore could not restore connectivity, you may ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: pc-cillin not letting me to connect to network via hard-wiring
      ... my apt bldg but when i hard-wire connect my computer to my modem directly, it shows "no or limited connectivity". ... so i uninstalled and re-installed cillin w/o the included firewall, and still, no connection. ... I also found that a change made to PCC 2K5, in this case some time in May of 2005 triggered my problems. ... Uninstalling the firewall was the only way to regain connectivity. ...
    • Re: Simple home network stops working ?
      ... > connectivity problems, which are higher level. ... > You've updated the drivers for the network adapters. ... > You've un installed the Norton Personal Firewall, ... > 1) Is the Norton firewall part of Norton Internet Security or do you have ...
    • Re: Network path was not found
      ... No Firewall is installed on that system; ... name> The network path not found or sometimes "No network ... >Which means it's not a connectivity issue via Terminal ... >NetBIOS over TCP/IP in Device Manager? ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)