Re: Odd addresses on my wireless network

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 11/25/04

    To: Ron <iago@valhallalegends.com>
    Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:39:36 -0500

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:25:06 CST, Ron said:
    > Windows computers, and some routers, have an obsession with sending
    > traffic to "239.255.255.253" for something to do with upnp
    > connectivity.

    Yes, that's the address that the plug-and-play firewall stuff uses, for
    the benefit of malware that just finished doing a 'Shields DOWN!' for the
    local host firewall and A/V functionality, and now needs to do the same
    for the firewall appliance that's stopping its attempts at world domination. ;)

    (Am I the only person who thinks that the *very last* feature you want in a
    firewall is plug-and-play configuration support? ;)