Re: Help, possible rootkit

From: Ralph W. Reid (rreid_at_sunset.net)
Date: 10/24/04

    Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:10:07 -0700
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    This kind of intermittent behavior _might_ indicate that a piece of
    hardware in your system is getting flakey on its way to failure. I
    have seen an HPUX and a LINUX system behave similarly when hardware
    involved with hard drives and hard drive control began to fail. Some
    one who has seen a hardware failure on a system with your OS may be
    able to shed more light on this kind of problem for you. HTH.

    On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 01:06:06PM -0300, BillyBob wrote:
    > I have noticed that my XP system is behaving like I have a rootkit.
    >
    > - My mouse is jumpy (it freezes for a second when I move it around the
    > desktop) and the minimized Taskmanager in the systray shows I have around
    > 25 - 30 % usage, but when I open it, there is no process listed using this
    > much.
    > - I did a netstat, fport, openports and none of these show that I have any
    > odd ports open or any connections established.
    > - even when I disconnect from the Internet these symptoms do not stop. They
    > stop if I reboot, but then start again.
    >
    > I have ran VICE, Klister, PatchFinder and RkDetect from rootkit.com and they
    > could not find anything.
    >
    > Any more suggestions ?
    > Any more rootkit finding tools for Windows ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    rreid@sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
    Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
    COTAN (x) = COS (x) / SIN (x)

    • Re: Replace Mobo in XP??
      ... > hardware than that it was originally installed upon. ... > The concerns with your conclusion is that you know when the failure is ... This has everything to do with FAST failure recovery and also just hardware ... > data replacement to do a repair installation and move on with life. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: Replace Mobo in XP??
      ... > hardware than that it was originally installed upon. ... > The concerns with your conclusion is that you know when the failure is ... This has everything to do with FAST failure recovery and also just hardware ... > data replacement to do a repair installation and move on with life. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: How to get crash dump when a unhandled CException is thrown by a MFC app
      ... hardware problem. ... failure at least once a day, which caused an exception to be thrown, and we recovered. ... So I do not believe that throwing an exception should terminate a program; ... "Go and fix your machine", ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: Nasty problem with Host Based Volume Shadowing
      ... Perhaps a disk hardware failure on one site (or ... thanks to Shadowing. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Replace Mobo in XP??
      ... hardware than that it was originally installed upon. ... > presence/absence of ACPI mobo BIOS. ... > on any XP system so that failure recovery on new hardware is more ... The concerns with your conclusion is that you know when the failure is going ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)