Spider with improbable IP address

From: Ed Wittmann (wittmann_at_sae.org)
Date: 10/14/04

    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:14:01 -0400
    To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>

    A server I help maintain is currently being spidered, which is not so
    unusual - however, I note that the address the spider is coming from
    seems weird:

    xxx.xxx.xxx.0

    Now, I was under the assumption that you can't send and receive on this
    address - but the requests come in here, and they're clearly going back
    out here. The weblogs show this address.

    Could someone cure my ignorance? Is this spoofing? It doesn't seem like
    source spoofing since the reply is clearly going back to the same IP
    address.

    • RE: Spider with improbable IP address
      ... It's a valid ip address for a subnet larger than /24. ... x.x.x.0 address on my cable modem. ... Spider with improbable IP address ... source spoofing since the reply is clearly going back to the same IP ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Deleted pages not removed from Index during Full Update
      ... the physical server Sharepoint is residing on isnt used for anything but the ... The server and Sharepoint is using swedish locale ... >> The main starting point of the spider page is the root of the MCMS site ... >> that page contains links to all postings in that channel and all ...
    • Re: Phil Askey wins award!
      ... relationship of Askey to the mfgs? ... The Spider ... Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is. ...
      (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
    • Re: My photos
      ... Still waiting for your feedback. ... All shit! ... The Spider ... Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is. ...
      (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
    • Re: thomas jay wasserberg is Whistle Blower or tommie or tommy70x or 55 years old the secure your se
      ... i hope you were trying to hurt me with it. ... you were suppose to "get" my server and you did not, ... so I sent out the freeware spider, ... too bad you got shot dumpster diving ...
      (alt.gathering.rainbow)