Spider with improbable IP address

From: Ed Wittmann (wittmann_at_sae.org)
Date: 10/14/04

    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:14:01 -0400
    To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>

    A server I help maintain is currently being spidered, which is not so
    unusual - however, I note that the address the spider is coming from
    seems weird:

    xxx.xxx.xxx.0

    Now, I was under the assumption that you can't send and receive on this
    address - but the requests come in here, and they're clearly going back
    out here. The weblogs show this address.

    Could someone cure my ignorance? Is this spoofing? It doesn't seem like
    source spoofing since the reply is clearly going back to the same IP
    address.