RE: Phatbox: Media Hype? Scare Tactics?

From: Schmehl, Paul L (pauls_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: 03/17/04

    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:12:44 -0600
    To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>

    &e=3&u=/wa
    shpost/20040317/tc_washpost/a444_2004mar17

    Claims hundreds of thousands of systems are infected.

    Is this hype or is this really spreading? Smells like hype to me because
    SARC reports nothing described as Phatbox and turns up nothing in the
    Symantec virus/backdoor database.

    *********************

    It's not hype. This is one of the Mydoom/Beagle/Netsky variants (I just
    don't recall which variant or which of the three worms it is off the top
    of my head). Since these vx groups "own" thousands of boxes, each time
    they seed a new virus, they infect thousands of machines. Even if it
    isn't spreading, it's still in a lot of boxes.

    Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/

    Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
    wireless security

    Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
    Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
    applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
    ownership.

    Download your free trial at
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040301

    • RE: Phatbox: Media Hype? Scare Tactics?
      ... Smells like hype to me because ... > SARC reports nothing described as Phatbox and turns up nothing in the ... > isn't spreading, it's still in a lot of boxes. ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Login to Access
      ... amke sense considering all the hype about security right now. ... Access 'security' isn't secure at all. ...
      (microsoft.public.access.security)