RE: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: James P. Saveker (james_at_wetgoat.net)
Date: 03/03/04

    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:17:04 -0000
    To: "Dozal, Tim" <tdozal@cisco.com>

    My word, you are brave Tim. I said something similar on Full Disclosure and
    got quite a telling off.

    I have to fully support your comments and also make another point.

    The new patch model for longhorn will not require reboots. They are
    investing a great deal of money in security now as before they had valued
    functionality over security.

    Current patches are getting smaller as with large enterprises bandwidth can
    be at a premium.

    For large business they offer SMS as a great tool for patch deployment,
    including being aware of remote users and making use of the "bits"
    technology. For smaller business they offer SUS for FREE!!

    I am not saying that MS have always got it right in the past, quite frankly
    they have not. Things are changing with MS, time will tell.

    James Saveker
    www.wetgoat.net

    "The only thing which helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
    friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes..."