Re: Nmap - 3.50 changes mstask.exe?

From: Jeremiah Cornelius (jeremiah_at_nur.net)
Date: 02/27/04

    To: a55mnky@yahoo.com, incidents@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:43:14 -0800

    >Not sure if this is the best list for this, but I am in a bit of a jam.
    >
    >I just downloaded the new NMAP v. 3.50 and ran it on my internal network. My IT manager is freaking out. He says >my scan replaced mstask.exe on the machines I scanned.
    >
    >Anybody else seen this behavior?

    No.

    Simply not possible without a trojaned nmap. Did you build from source? Even if this were not so, insecure.org hasn't got a trojaned binary!

    I think your manager needs to revisit the argument of "correlation vs.. causation":
    http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/anthropology/ANT333/Lecture%202/sld029.htm

    --jer