Re: Nmap - 3.50 changes mstask.exe?

From: Joshua Levitsky (jlevitsk_at_joshie.com)
Date: 02/27/04

    To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:46:31 -0500

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <a55mnky@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:31 AM
    Subject: Nmap - 3.50 changes mstask.exe?

    > Not sure if this is the best list for this, but I am in a bit of a jam.
    >
    > I just downloaded the new NMAP v. 3.50 and ran it on my internal network.
    > My IT manager is freaking out. He says my scan replaced mstask.exe on the
    > machines I scanned.
    >
    > Anybody else seen this behavior?

    What led him to that conclusion? How does he know the source was your
    machine and that the time coincided with your scan? Does the account on
    your machine have admin rights on the machines you scanned? (Just thinking
    if something else on your machine could have copied the bad file to the
    other machines.) Does the mstask.exe have a different date and size and
    such then what should be there? Can you zip and make available the
    mstask.exe somewhere?

    Also did you download NMAP from a particular mirror? Do you still have the
    installer that you downloaded? Can you verify the MD5 checksum on the file
    that it's not somehow modified?

    --
    Joshua Levitsky, MCSE, CISSP
    System Engineer

    • Re: VERY noob question, but need help
      ... When I try to open attachments in mye-mail the download manager starts ... I am using Orbit Download Manager. ... When I compare it to one of the working machines, ... I'm really confused as to how to install drivers for the two given devices ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
    • FW: Nmap - 3.50 changes mstask.exe?
      ... and use your version of nmap to scan it. ... Make sure your manager is present when this ... you need to find out what actually did change mstask (assuming it ... machines I scanned. ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: [SLE] On-demand caching local mirror?
      ... for all machines accessing, or it won't work. ... and that multiple machines accessing ... He has some sort of python based VFS, ... sometimes either the download or install seems to freeze up. ...
      (SuSE)
    • ActiveX .CAB Download Issues
      ... I am having inconsistent luck with creating an ActiveX object on my web ... Those machines are either XP or 2000. ... Code Download Error: The specified module could not be found. ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
    • Re: cannot delete temporary internet files
      ... Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs, ... If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will ... Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder ... > support about 130 machines in several different small offices. ...