Re: OpenSSH anomaly

From: Tavis Paquette (
Date: 02/23/04

    Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:25:10 -0800

    Benjamin Franz wrote:

    >I'm running a RedHat Enterprise 3 ES server that has been running fairly
    >reliably for a month. This morning we could not remotely login to the
    >server via SSH because openssh would terminate the connection immediately
    >(no delay) after apparently successfully logging in - without giving a
    >prompt. We are current on patches up to Feb 1 with the exception of the
    >kernel which is RHES 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp. A console reboot succeeded in
    >restoring connectivity. We couldn't find any footprints in any log or any
    >suspicious file activity. No record of the failed logins (we attempted
    >using both pubkey and password) were in the logs. The openssh version is
    >RedHat's 3.6.1p2-18.
    >Has anyone else seen something similiar?
    I've encountered behaviour similar to this in an unrelated
    configuration, it involved the use of PAM and the module
    with it you can limit (among other things) the maximum amount of
    concurrent logins for a specific account

    This is how openssh behaves when the limit has been reached, the
    assumption here is that the password has been entered correctly.

    reticent@cynosure| ssh
    Connection to closed by remote host.
    Connection to closed.
    You may want to look at your pam configuration for sshd if indeed your
    system uses PAM (i'm not a redhat user so i cannot provide references to
    config file locations)
    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection
    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.
    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.
    Download 30-day evaluation at:

    • Re: MS Access LDB file (lock) and INSERT Failure
      ... > Access automatically creates an ldb when you open a connection ... >> "INSERT INTO Logins ... >> When user logins in, I update the DB successfully as below: ...
    • Re: Intermittent behavior connecting through Cisco 678 DSL modem
      ... > I've got opensshd running on a Suse 8.0 Linux box sitting on a LAN ... > which has a DSL internet connection via a Cisco 678 router. ... the Suse box has a Samba ... of openssh to be 3.4-p1 on the Suse box. ...
    • FW: OpenSSH connection Problem
      ... Subject: OpenSSH connection Problem ... general support queries. ... If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or ...
    • Re: 2 SSH questions: why does it pause so much, and, can I keep connection alive?
      ... >I believe the server is behind a firewall. ... When a packet arrives, its source IP, ... then the connection is added to the state table. ... > I¹m running OpenSSH 3.6.1 on Mac OSX. ...
    • Re: telnet vs Openssh
      ... Make a dialup connection to your server and check the differences, ... telnet is just fine. ... >>This may be why I am seeing a slow down in screen drawing with Openssh. ...