buddylinks worm

From: Jason Yates (jaywhy2_at_comcast.net)
Date: 02/10/04

    Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:58:09 -0500
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    Another one of the AOL worms; this one instant messages all users on
    your buddy list. The message I've recieved is "check this out:
    http://ww.wgutv.com/osama_capture.php?bNek". The link is a fact news
    website telling you to download some software . Once you install the
    software on the page; it immediately instant messages everyone on your
    buddy list.

    The software it installs is something called buddylinks. According to
    buddylinks.net, Buddylinks is a "revolutionary new way for instant
    messenger users to instantaneously share entertaining content with their
    entire IM "buddy list" network all at one time". I can't make this
    stuff up.

    Jason Yates

    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.

    Download 30-day evaluation at:
    http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php

    • Facetime peers inside Skype encryption
      ... Security vendor FaceTime Communications has released the only security product on the market allowed to look at encrypted instant messages sent between Skype users. ...
      (alt.privacy)
    • RE: buddylinks worm
      ... Another one of the AOL worms; this one instant messages all users on ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ... or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, ...
      (Incidents)
    • RE: Preventing OS Detection
      ... Once you've gotten your network packets tweaked so ... If I go to http://uptime.netcraft.com and enter my website, ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Keen to test out root kits
      ... I am keen to test out root kits on my lap-top. ... lap-top / home network? ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Counter detect Network Sniffer
      ... Subject: Counter detect Network Sniffer ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ... Download 30-day evaluation at: ...
      (Focus-IDS)