buddylinks worm

From: Jason Yates (jaywhy2_at_comcast.net)
Date: 02/10/04

    Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:58:09 -0500
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    Another one of the AOL worms; this one instant messages all users on
    your buddy list. The message I've recieved is "check this out:
    http://ww.wgutv.com/osama_capture.php?bNek". The link is a fact news
    website telling you to download some software . Once you install the
    software on the page; it immediately instant messages everyone on your
    buddy list.

    The software it installs is something called buddylinks. According to
    buddylinks.net, Buddylinks is a "revolutionary new way for instant
    messenger users to instantaneously share entertaining content with their
    entire IM "buddy list" network all at one time". I can't make this
    stuff up.

    Jason Yates

    Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

    Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
    integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

    Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
    - Wireless security.

    Download 30-day evaluation at:
    http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php