(Moderator Note) Re: Anyome else seeing a rise in Mydoom Viruses over email?

From: Dan Hanson (dhanson_at_securityfocus.com)
Date: 01/27/04

    Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:58:16 -0700 (MST)
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    Ok, after sorting through about 30 messages that all point out that AV
    vendors have signatures for the virus, I am rejecting all of them.

    In summary: There is a fast spreading worm, write-ups are available at
    your preferred AV site, and I would prefer that discussion about this, on
    this list, should confine itself to the resulting implications of the worm
    (proxies, etc), rather than stopping it at the SMTP gateway or cleaning it
    from systems.

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Nigel Frankcom wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Over the last 2 hours our mail servers have seen a dramatic rise in
    > Mydoom virus emails.
    >
    > So far neither Panda nor McAfee are detecting it - tho the following
    > Content Filter is working for us:
    >
    > *C_o_n_tent-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit* (remove _'s)
    >
    > Subject seems to morph as each new wave is released.
    >
    > Most connections *seem* to be from private machines.
    >
    > Numbers are rising.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Nigel

    • Exim4 + ClamAV + Some Virii get through
      ... Exim4 acl stuff a bit of a black art:( ... Sometimes a virus that clamav *does* already know about gets through. ... maybe Paul could add it to hs "Rejecting Email ...
      (Debian-User)
    • [SLE] Rejecting backscatter mail in postfix
      ... I'm receiving certain backscatter mail (ie, mail sent by postmasters, ... consisting of rejecting a mail with possible virus to the claimed ... originator, which in the case of virus, can be faked, and thus are ...
      (SuSE)
    • Greeting Card Virus Alert
      ... our email server is rejecting a lot of ... "Greeting Card" type email. ... which leads to a virus. ...
      (alt.usage.english)