RE: SQL Slammer doing the rounds again?

From: Jim Harrison (ISA) (jmharr_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 11/13/03

    Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:47:57 -0800
    To: "Harlan Carvey" <keydet89@yahoo.com>, <incidents@securityfocus.com>

    The simple answer is, "if the web app is properly designed, coded and
    tested, there should be no reason to 'open a port' (apologies to TS) to
    the SQL from the Internet.

    <tirade>

    Unfortunately, there are many folks who have queried the ISA newsgroups
    and other ISA lists about how (not why) to allow inbound SQL connections
    because many web designers haven't quite caught up to the idea that the
    Internet isn't the friendly little sandbox that they seem to believe it
    is.

    Consequently, they deploy distributed web apps that expect to have
    direct access to a SQL server across whatever network they're installed
    in. This often leaves the network admins with one choice; open external
    access to the SQL server.

    While it's true that you can IP-restrict that traffic, there's also IP
    spoofing to contend with. Many ISP's don't even apply the basic ACLs
    that any first-year Cisco intern would have been taught, causing the
    plethora of "I'm seeing spoof attack reports from 127.0.0.1" complaints
    from many new ISA admins. If the upstream devices were properly
    configured, their firewall (app, appliance, monkeys & buckets, etc.)
    would never see this traffic in the first place.

    </tirade>

    ..I feel better now...

    * Jim Harrison
    MCP(NT4/2K), A+, Network+
    Security Business Unit (ISA SE)

    "I used to hate writing assignments, but now I enjoy them.
    I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas,
    obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
    With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and
    impenetrable fog!"
    -Calvin