Re: Secure.dcom.exe

From: Eric Chien (ecchien_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/08/03

    Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:24:28 +0100
    To: incidents@securityfocus.com

    This file simply sets the Registry Key:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\EnableDCOM = N

    and then prints out the text:
               | Icq: 52733081 |

               | Comment to: MaXxX__@Hotmail.com |

               | File Created @ 28 July 2003 by MaXxX |

               | Dcom Quick Patch |

               | |

               [-------------------------------------------------------]

    ...Eric

    At 04:09 AM 8/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
    >I took a look at the executeable. It doesn't seem to
    >have any identifying information compiled into it, and
    >'strings' doesn't reveal anything of interest. The
    >exe only depends on two DLLs, and calls only a total
    >of 4 functions...none of which have to do with
    >networking.

    • Re: What does "failed with 0x80004005" error mean in running regsv
      ... You'll need to check the Perms of the reg key that the .dlls are attempting to access. ... Error Message: 0x80004005: General Error Unable to Open Registry Key ...
    • Re: Trouble Downloading
      ... I did have the .exe key in the registry and it was ... associated with the program NETZIP. ... registry key, rebooted and still couldn't download exe ... now I can download exe files just fine. ...
    • Automatic Updates Office 2003: KB957832 and KB951535 failed
      ... Prior to these two updates failing I had KB955466 also fail. ... I tried all the suggested fixes but none worked. ... I set them and ran the .exe again and it came up with the same ERROR but named a different registry key. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Automatic Updates Office 2003: KB957832 and KB951535 failed
      ... How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation... ... Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access ... When I checked the registry key it was referring to I found no permissions ... Fixed that and ran exe again and kept doing ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: depends.exe like tools?
      ... I don't know if it uses the AppPaths Registry key, but that is rarely used anyway. ... Note also that DLL dependencies are different in different releases of Windows, ... The values of certain Registry keys (read about DLL search paths in the MSDN) ... What DLLs are not found ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)