Re: File on desktop called "~"

http-equiv_at_excite.com
Date: 06/13/03

    To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:47:15 -0000

    <!-- I'm starting to see some of my workstations getting a
    suspicious file on the desktop with the filename ~.
    Using a hex editor, you can see current email addresses -->

    Yes, this is a known issue. It is 'backup' of the WAB [windows
    address book], created by one of the recent patch installations for
    Internet Explorer or Outlook Express[cannot recall which one -- there
    are so many --], but the creation date on this machine for the file
    is: May 13, 2003 10:49:58 AM and modification date of Tuesday, June
    03, 2003 5:57:48 PM

    - checks:

    April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)[Posted:
    April 23, 2003}
    June 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (818529)[Posted:
    June 4, 2003]

    Nothing to fear, except the inevitable patch for this patch !

    --
    http://www.malware.com

    • Re: What is this ~?
      ... I have now read that this file is created due to a bug in Outlook Express ... Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express and ... a patch for this patch. ...
    • RE: Calendar Time Zone, Outlook 2003 and KB928388
      ... Microsoft 928388 Daylight savings patch and Outlook 2003 appointments, ... they appear time shifted one hour, when viewed on a computer with Outlook ... 2003 with the patch and a computer with Office 2003 without the patch. ... To err on the side of caution, all clients connecting to the same mailbox ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • Re: Installing todays Office 2000 security update (KB892842) with
      ... Went back to updates now it only states that the Outlook Collaboration Data ... Objects (CDO) Update: ... Now if we can figure out how to get CDO update to stick (when I install it, ... patch) then it can include it in the file re-build. ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • RE: Calendar Time Zone, Outlook 2003 and KB928388
      ... impacting much more that a calendar. ... they appear time shifted one hour, when viewed on a computer with Outlook ... 2003 with the patch and a computer with Office 2003 without the patch. ... To err on the side of caution, all clients connecting to the same mailbox ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • KB835732 Errors and Fixes
      ... On our network we recently pushed this patch, ... administrator rights, the problems with Outlook, IE, etc ... The fix involves resetting the permissions under the WINNT ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update)