Re: KazaaLite 2.0.2 Build 1

From: Jimi Thompson (jimit_at_myrealbox.com)
Date: 06/04/03

    Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:05:44 -0500
    To: "matt" <tool8185@adelphia.net>, "security focus" <incidents@securityfocus.com>

    At 7:55 AM -0400 6/2/03, matt wrote:
    >Platform: win2000 SP3 with full updates/patches.
    >Program KazaaLite 2.0.2 Build 1
    >
    >I have 3 partitions on the primary harddrive and 1 external drive. Besides
    >the default sharing folder "My Shared Folder" on C:, I mainly share
    >everything on the External drive. In the past few weeks I've noticed that
    >when using KazaaLite I see certain files being downloaded from me that
    >shouldn't be. Last night (6/1) I saw a file called perform.doc downloaded
    >to a person with a description I didn't recognize, so I searched for it on
    >the external but it wasn't there. I checked my other drives and found it on
    >my D: drive, a drive I am NOT sharing and don't wish to. A few weeks ago I
    >saw 2 files from my C: drive that were downloaded and that was not shared
    >either. I've searched through the registry and haven't seen anything fishy.
    >
    >Any ideas? Or has anyone seen this? As of right now all sharing on my part
    >is closed until further research by me and hopefully some of you.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Matt

    Kazaa and Kazaa Lite have both been prone to various security issues
    including exploits which follow exactly what you have described.
    There have been trojaned versions released that when installed, did
    various nefarious things. Understand that when you dowload the
    software, it doesn't come from kazaa.com, you get from a user on the
    kazaa network that's sharing the file. There is absolutely nothing
    to keep them from making their own kazaa.exe or whatever and sharing
    the trojaned version. Best of all, you know which users downloaded
    so you can try to connect to them later.

    --
    Thanks,
    Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

    • Re: Network Question on Shares
      ... start sharing) and go through the menus everything works fine and SUSE ... If you share a directory that has subdirectories, the GUI gives a message, "This directory has subdirectories, do you wish to share them?" ... I don't know how many too many is but you can find out if you have the problem by going to the permissions tab of sharing and connecting and going through your shared drives one by one. ... Any automatic logon you have set up will not work because your userid and password are no longer valid. ...
      (comp.os.os2.misc)
    • Re: Results of my straw poll.
      ... Who says you need 7 CD drives for the VMS docs? ... Have you had good luck with CD sharing? ... drives on a PC to provide documents that students would access (in HTML ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Peer to Peer sharing
      ... Windows XP by default created administrative shares for the root folders of the fixed drives of the computer. ... You can create your own shares to share your drives from the root of the drive, but Microsoft highly recommends that you share only the folders that you need to, rather than the entire drive. ... Windows Vista displays the properties for the drive with the Sharing tab selected. ...
    • Re: File and Printer Sharing - Missing Share
      ... ignorance of sharing drives vs sharing folders. ... had not turned off File and Printer Sharing, and assumed it was the D: ... there was a shared folder in each D: ...
    • Re: Cant set permissions on drive
      ... Sharing and Security tabs are available on folders however. ... I have Simple File Sharing turned off on the XP boxes and I'm logged ... I have the Sharing/Security tabs avilable for the drives yet can't say ... How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)