Re: Distributed spam-based DoS in progress

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: 02/18/03

    From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
    Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:48:38 -0500

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:48:20 +0100, Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org> said:

    > Pardon me for noting that your mailserver seems to be broken.
    >
    > If a message is undeliverable it will be bounced BUT if the bounce message
    > can not be delivered it will be discarded immediatly to prevent double
    > bounce loops.
    >
    > See also RFC 2821 section 4.5.5

    Umm.. you're overlooking the case where you get a message, have to bounce it,
    and the other end doesn't answer a SYN on port 25, so you have to sit on
    it for several days before the message times out.....

    So yes, the message *will* be discarded immediately - 5 days from now. ;)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Domain hosting query
      ... and your mailserver bounces the email to the sender - and depending on how ... a spam sender. ... Just to clarify - we don't bounce anything. ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: News: Ian Chappell says Australia is a team of two great bowlers
      ... >> noting that bounce didn't even understand what Chappelli's point was. ... >> Possibly because he has trouble reading ... McGrath, Lee, Kasper, Gillespie, Warne, MacGill and the rest. ...
      (rec.sport.cricket)
    • Re: Domain hosting query
      ... and your mailserver bounces the email to the sender - and depending on how ... a spam sender. ... Bounces result in backscatter. ... addresses are always forged and when the spam is bounced the resulting bounce ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: Domain hosting query
      ... and your mailserver bounces the email to the sender - and depending on how ... a spam sender. ... backscatter from us - not delivery or read receipts, NDRs, or even out of ... An SMTP rejection is not the same as a bounce. ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: Domain hosting query
      ... and your mailserver bounces the email to the sender - and depending on how ... mail relay the message passed through, so my mailserver gets treated as ... Just to clarify - we don't bounce anything. ... backscatter from us - not delivery or read receipts, NDRs, or even out of ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)