RE: Forensics CD

From: Black, Braden (BBlack@VSCat.com)
Date: 10/10/02

From: "Black, Braden" <BBlack@VSCat.com>
To: incidents@securityfocus.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:46:48 -0400

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:05:56AM -0700, H C wrote:

> > > You might want to look at FIRE which is a primarily
> > > a CD bootable linux distribution
> >

> Earlier versions of FIRE actually had a number of binaries for
> performing analysis on live systems (i386 Windows and Sparc Solaris),
> but they appear to have been pulled in more recent releases due to
> licensing issues. Hopefully we'll start seeing some utilities with more
> favorable licensing in the next version(s).

I keep expecting to see Trinux show up in this thread, and as I cannot bear
disappointment...

http://www.trinux.org

To quote the site:
"Trinux is a ramdisk-based Linux distribution that boots from a single
floppy or CD-ROM, loads it packages from an HTTP/FTP server, a FAT/NTFS/ISO
filesystem, or additional floppies. Trinux contains the latest versions of
popular Open Source network security tools for port scanning, packet
sniffing,
vulnerability scanning, sniffer detection, packet construction,
active/passive
OS fingerprinting, network monitoring, session-hijacking, backup/recovery,
computer forensics, intrusion detection, and more. Trinux also provides
support
for Perl, PHP, and Python scripting languages. Remote Trinux boxes can be
managed
securely with OpenSSH."

- Braden