Scanning Port UDP 4668

From: Ken Grossman (kgrossman@dazzling.com)
Date: 07/22/02

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:46:32 -0400
To: incidents@securityfocus.com
From: "Ken Grossman" <kgrossman@dazzling.com>

All,

One of the groups that I support has been seeing a lot of scanning for UDP
port 4668. Before you ask, they did not quantify "a lot". One of the
questions that they have is what are the scanners looking for that is
running on that port. I checked the IANA port listing at
www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers and found that the port number (TCP
and UDP) is unassigned. I also performed a check on the SecurityFocus site
to see if this had bee discussed before but found nothing on it. Does
anyone know what could be running on that port number? Thanks for your
assistance.

Ken Grossman, CISSP
kgrossman@dazzling.com
(202) 401-7142

  • Re: UDP question
    ... Re: UDP question.eml ... >>> Most modern services utilise TCP, ... The only open port should be the port I use for Open VPN, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Block UDP Ports?
    ... I'm using Checkpoint Firewall-1. ... reasonable that Firewall-1 would leave UDP wide open. ... > UDP ICMP port unreachable scanning: This scanning method varies from the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • UDP DoS attack in Win2k via IKE
    ... This memo should clarify the issue discovered with the UDP DOS ... Sending of UDP traffic to port 500 UDP will cause windows to ... attacked host is an IPSec gateway). ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Bind as cache DNS and firewall
    ... As it's UDP I think of UDP queries going from my cache server to other DNS server, and I catch their UDP responses in the firewall. ... So I should open my firewall for UDP on port 53 for all the world? ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
  • Re: LDAP UDP Port Problem
    ... The correct fix is to identify that the network gear is tossing out the UDP ... Then I did some portqry's on the LDAP port ... > Sending LDAP query to TCP port 389... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)