Dial-Up Percentage Abuse

From: Chris (brahma@mendolink.com)
Date: 06/07/02

From: "Chris" <brahma@mendolink.com>
To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:40:07 -0700

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I really didn't know any other lists
closer to my question. I was wondering if anyone would know where I could
obtain factual information regarding Dial-Up account abuse in conjunction
with weak passwords. A study or information gathered by a credible source.

As in someone brute forcing/guessing/conning a password for a dial-up
account and using that account to launch attacks on systems and do generally
malicious things. I am trying to show the importance of forcing customers
to select secure passwords (8 char+ w/ numbers, letters and other printable
char) to my staff. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank You,

Chris D.
Network Security
Mendo Link, LLC

"An Ounce Of Prevention Is Worth A Pound Of Cure."
Om Namo Narayanaya

  • Re: Please Help! - Email Problems
    ... > 1) What is dictionary attack? ... to the server, specifying passwords various passwords, one right after the ... dictionary contains lists of words. ... They disabled your account, at least for email, and must reenable it. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: GAIN $50,000 LEGALLY WITH PAYPAL
    ... WE CAN WORK TOGETHER AND MAKE MONEY USING PAYPAL ... PayPal account will have several hundred dollars deposited into it ... sent out 100 copies to emails and 300 copies on newsgroups to further ... work to get started - no mailing lists. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: GAIN $50,000 LEGALLY WITH PAYPAL
    ... WE CAN WORK TOGETHER AND MAKE MONEY USING PAYPAL ... PayPal account will have several hundred dollars deposited into it ... sent out 100 copies to emails and 300 copies on newsgroups to further ... work to get started - no mailing lists. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Account lockouts
    ... for reusable passwords and the AAA infrastructures that rely upon them? ... In that context, account lockout policy -- duration, threshold, lockout ... > cracking attacks. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: make money on the internet using paypal
    ... money online? ... $50,000 dollars in your PayPal account ... and include in the e-mail: "Payment for Internet Marketing ... lists of email addresses from a reputable mailing list company. ...
    (sci.math)