Re: IGMP DOS Attack

From: John Kristoff (jtk@depaul.edu)
Date: 04/11/02

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:45:08 -0500
From: John Kristoff <jtk@depaul.edu>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:53:03 -0400
Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> Anybody *else* remember a certain worm randomly picking IP addresses
> to attack, and causing IGMP meltdowns when it happened to pick a
> 224.x.x.x address, as all the multicast-aware hosts would start asking
> about the group? I remember a 2AM firestorm that took several of our
> routers and part of Abeliene with it...

It was the Ramen worm and it scanned random address space, including
that within 224.0.0.0/4. It wasn't IGMP, but rather problems with
excessive session announcement state between MSDP peers. Marshall
Eubanks gave a good presentation at a recent NANOG about IP multicast
issues including the impact of Ramen on the IP multicast enabled
Internet.

John