Re: Trojans that use LDAP

From: Stephen (sa7ori@tasam.com)
Date: 01/19/02

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:36:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Stephen <sa7ori@tasam.com>
To: INCIDENTS@securityfocus.com

When addressing these issues you have to remember that there is no set
WAY of doing things. just because that machine has traffic destined for what is
normally designated for LDAP doesnt mean that this is LDAP traffic, it
simply means that whomever trojaned your machine chose that port for
whatever reasons (maybe your firewall policies let that stuff through)
many times people put things on 53, so your not contentmatching firewalls
let the data through...dont assume that because the packet has 389 in it
destination fields, that it is LDAP content in the datagram.. You can
use netstat, and lsof, but how can you trust these tools. assuming your
machine has been rooted, there is no real way of being sure these utils
arent trojaned or that the attacker hasnt loaded
a kernel mod that will do execve redirection or hide files...netstat
and lsof WILL NOT see these sockets/files if the kernel doesnt want them
to. Keep your mind open. I suggest (if you can) booting the machine from
another medium perhaps your OS install cds and using the utilities on that
cd. or atleast copy the binaries from a "secure" machine. security is all
about TRUST violation, dont over TRUST your utilities especially in an
untrustworthy environment.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 Kevin.Reardon@oracle.com wrote:

> If you're running unix, you might want to run lsof on that potential infected
> machine to see what process is trying to get to that port. netstat will show
> you the port that is trying to connect to the ldap port, and you can go from
> there. Find the process, find the offender.
>

> ---K
>
> Gary Porter wrote:
>
> > Are there any Trojans that communicate using LDAP? A machine on our
> > internal network is trying to connect to
> > "email-ds-3.c3pki.ch" on destination Port 389? That port (blocked by the
> > firewall) is ostensibly used for the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol,
> > but I know nothing about this service and I've been unsuccessful (using Sam
> > Spade) in locating any information about the destination address. Is this
> > the sign of a compromise or something more benign?
> >
> > Gary R. Porter
> > Program Manager, CITS Mobile Training
> > MATCOM Corporation
> > 757-838-0212 (w)
> > 757-897-5830 (m)
> > gary.porter@matcomcorp.com

> > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
> > For more information on this free incident handling, management
> > and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com

  • Re: Trojans that use LDAP
    ... A PKI Client that is trying to access a PKI at this address would be my guess ... PKI's usually use LDAP to look up certificates and CRL's. ... >- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. ... > For more information on this free incident handling, management ...
    (Incidents)
  • Solaris 8 Kerberos / Ldap Client Setup
    ... I am trying to setup a Solaris 8 client to talk to Kerberos / Ldap instead ... # Authentication management ... # pam_krb5 has a no-op account module, so we don't bother listing it here ... this message to the named addressee, please notify us immediately and delete ...
    (SunManagers)
  • pam.conf problem
    ... as well as for the LDAP password, it should only ask once I think, the ... passwd: System error: no ldap password for testuser. ... # Default definitions for Authentication management ... # Used when service name is not explicitly mentioned for account ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Solaris clients pam-authentication with OpenLDAP
    ... passwd: System error: no ldap password for testuser. ... but then the passwd command don't work. ... # Default definitions for Authentication management ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: LDAP like AD
    ... > Can anyone tell me if there is an LDAP management software that can compare ... Please do NOT tell me how much better LDAP ... > Open Source can NOT compare if it is not manageable (ease of management). ...
    (alt.os.linux)