Re: Microsoft's Early Xmas Present.

From: Devdas Bhagat (devdas@worldgatein.net)
Date: 01/02/02

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 20:46:53 +0530
From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas@worldgatein.net>
To: Incidents List <incidents@securityfocus.com>

On 29/12/01 22:04 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:
<snip>
> normal people to keep up on patches is. I'm starting to think more and
> more that a 3-month expiration date on Windows is a good idea. If you
> haven't patched in 3 months, then your machine will refuse to do anything
> but download patches...
I second that idea. I don't think it will be implemented however, unless
the installer allows for that. Then again, I don't like my machines
updating themselves without my permission. (Yeah, I'm the geek that
knows what I'm doing and keeps stuff patched on my servers. Thankfully
I'm not the LAN admin, but I usually get to fix infected machines before
the LAN admins can get to figure out that they are infected by a worm
that yesterdays antivirus patch won't fix).

Devdas Bhagat

  • Re: Cryptogram Comment
    ... >> bother me with Windows questions. ... >> machines are broken. ... Just like if you don't know to tune up your car every year then you ... > and Linux and other open OS's make all patches FREE to redistribute. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cryptogram Comment
    ... Or had to go through setting up basic security for their ... > bother me with Windows questions. ... > machines are broken. ... and Linux and other open OS's make all patches FREE to redistribute. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cryptogram Comment
    ... Tom St Denis wrote: ... > In his latest Cryptogram Bruce took up the position on the WinXP SP2 patches ... > While I personally hate Windows [on various levels none of which have to do ... 0wned machines? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • RE: PPT Freezes when inserting a movie (green box)
    ... site machines (One of our techs went to a local school he attends, ... success on a machine that was 2 months behind on patches. ... plays with corrupted video, but generally does not. ... released video engine patch, just based on the idea that those may affect the ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Why not patch all windows and not just legal copies
    ... from getting patches through other means. ... I see what you are saying - the end-result is machines that get infected and ... infested are those who do not take the time to patch their stolen systems. ... breeding grounds for attacks and bots and hackers.. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)