Xterm

From: Yahoo - CQRMail (cqrmail@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/26/01

From: "Yahoo - CQRMail" <cqrmail@yahoo.com>
To: <incidents@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Xterm
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:58:05 -0400

My snort IDS picked up a bunch of X11 signatures:
http://www.whitehats.com/info/ids126
Source IP is a random public address, Source port is 6000...random
destination inside ports.

I have blocked 6000 at the firewall, but I don't know where to begin
tracking down what is compromised on the server. I am running Mandrake 8,
only ports allowed are 80 and 22...xdm has been disabled.

I didn't see much in the logs, so where should I begin? and what should I
look for?

I will probably rebuild the server, but I would like to see if I can find
out what has been down first, so I can be prepared later...

TIA...new to linux, so I apologize for my crude question,
Tony