More info on DarkMachine

From: Markus De Shon (mdeshon@secureworks.net)
Date: 10/17/01

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:35:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Markus De Shon <mdeshon@secureworks.net>
To: incidents@securityfocus.com
Subject: More info on DarkMachine

We have executed the attachment in a controlled environment with Regmon
and Filemon running to track Registry and File accesses.

Regmon shows that the worm changed two registry keys:

739 59.36779760 Userconf SetValueEx
HKLM\Software\Description\Microsoft\Rpc\UuidPersistentData\ClockSequence
SUCCESS 0xA2E

740 59.36783360 Userconf SetValueEx
HKLM\Software\Description\Microsoft\Rpc\UuidPersistentData\LastTimeAllocated
SUCCESS 40 D3 9C 15 EB C

These don't appear to be hostile behavior--these keys seem to be changed
by other programs as well.

It did access, but apparently did not attempt to write to, WIN.INI.

It created a temporary binary file at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~DFE855.TMP (this
was a Win98 machine), which we're still looking at to see what it's
function is. It is not a copy of the worm, as it is significantly
smaller. It contains the following text strings:

R\0o\0o\0t\0 \0E\0n\0t\0r\0y
rn1org

It creates the following files:

411 0.00014800 Userconf Write C:\COMMON.EXE SUCCESS
Offset: 0 Length: 10240

428 0.00018800 Userconf Write C:\REDE.EXE SUCCESS
Offset: 0 Length: 10240

445 0.00018960 Userconf Write C:\SI.EXE SUCCESS
Offset: 0 Length: 10240

462 0.00018480 Userconf Write C:\USERCONF.EXE SUCCESS
Offset: 0 Length: 10240

479 0.00018320 Userconf Write C:\DISK.EXE SUCCESS
Offset: 0 Length: 10240

The files other than DISK.EXE are already known to be possible names of
email attachments. All the files are identical copies of the worm.

The worm then launches Outlook and attempts to send copies of itself out.

I have forwarded copies of the worm to McAfee and CERT for further
analysis. So far, from our analysis, we have only found that the worm
propagates itself. Further analysis will be necessary to determine if
there are any other effects.

   Markus De Shon, Ph.D., GCIA #0227 <mdeshon@secureworks.net>
   Research Manager -- SecureWorks, Inc. -- 404 327-6339x127

  • [Full-Disclosure] RE: Any dissasemblies of the Witty worm yet?
    ... strange similarity with SQL Slammer for the following points: ... 6B636F73h" in this worm. ... Found: offset 000000ef value 5e0d409c in module C:\Program ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • SV: More info on DarkMachine
    ... Subject: SV: More info on DarkMachine ... It appears that McAfee has already posted an analysis of this virus at their ... Regmon shows that the worm changed two registry keys: ... Offset: 0 Length: 10240 ...
    (Incidents)