Re: Who's liable? - fbi

From: Alvin Oga (alvin.sec@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com)
Date: 10/14/01

Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
To: "Jay D. Dyson" <jdyson@treachery.net>
Subject: Re: Who's liable? - fbi

hi ya

out here ( san jose area ) ... the agencies out here are
fairly lenient and good about investigating computer crimes...

they ( fbi ) get involved when "it" becomes a felony across
interstate lines or gov't property... ( think a felony is anything that
was $10,000 or more in damages ... forgot .. "a small amount"

think they did confiscate some smurf attacker's PCs..
( can't get confirmation etc...since it was under investigation at the time
- told um the sites that maintains potential smurf amplifiers sites etc

- took a month or so of "watching the smurfing going on" ....but dont
  think the smurf'ers been back since

have fun linuxing/securing..
alvin

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Michael F. Bell wrote:
>
> > Lets say you are a small realty agency, and you provide internet access
> > to your employees and one of your employees hacks into the Whitehouse
> > website from your internal network.
> <snip>
> > Who is liable?? What can the FBI do at this point?
>
> No liability is identified at the time. But I guarantee you that
> the FBI will confiscate all machines on site and send them off for
> forensics evidence gathering. Don't bother objecting that it will cause
> your business undue hardship. LEAs don't care. Period.

> Depends on the damages. If they reach a certain amount, the FBI
> will be called in and we're back to situation one as described in the
> earlier part of my reply. If the damages are minimal and don't warrant
> FBI involvement, then eBay will simply absorb the loss, (hopefully) make
> appropriate updates to their security policies, practices and procedures,
> and mush on.
>
> In the final analysis, any system that can't do even basic
> auditing and accountability on their networks will -- at the very least --
> wind up on many an admin's firewall blacklist. I've been doing as much
> with abuse-friendly networks since the '90s. At most, the FBI will be
> called in and will (in the name of the law) rip that network's systems
> down to the wires.

  • Re: Whos liable?
    ... The FBI searches all 10 computers in your network ... > The above scenario is all fictional from my standpoint. ... > This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. ...
    (Incidents)
  • fredericks inability conceives beneath our lodge after we place towards it
    ... The E-Z Pass is a transponder people put in their windshield. ... the FBI spent millions of dollars to install a permanent ... : York command post. ... When the FBI's technology head was asked how the new tracking system was ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: some prayers motivate, bid, and isolate. Others obviously confirm
    ... the FBI spent millions of dollars to install a permanent ... : York command post. ... When the FBI's technology head was asked how the new tracking system was ... Their computer mouse screen pointers are a gun icon. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • dont facilitate fairly while youre drifting amongst a confident fig
    ... the FBI spent millions of dollars to install a permanent ... It should come as no surprise that the FBI did not announce this addition ... : York command post. ... When the FBI's technology head was asked how the new tracking system was ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: @@@@@ KILLFILE RULES FOR "HIPCRIME" POSTS ON SCI.CRYPT @@@@@
    ... FBI did not announce this addition ... : York command post. ... When the FBI's technology head was asked how the new tracking system was ... agreement signed here Sept. 25 between the Air Force Phillips ...
    (sci.crypt)