Re: Terroristic attacks today

From: Geoff Galitz (galitz@chem.berkeley.edu)
Date: 09/11/01

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:04:45 -0700
From: Geoff Galitz <galitz@chem.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Terroristic attacks today
To: Rich Puhek <rpuhek@etnsystems.com>

My view is even if the folks who did carry out today's attack
do not use the Internet as a vehicle for further action, others
will. Wether it be in revenge for the attack, or other groups
or individuals "spurred" to action by the events of the past
day and coming weeks.

Some of us are probably higher profile targets than others.
Major research universities, DOE and research labs,
and anyone who may be thought to be connected with
foreign policy in the slightest way come to mind as folks who
should on the look-out.

In fact, we just cleaned up a few machines that had been
breeched last night which did get me to wondering about
today's events.

Don't forget that we in the US have a few loose cannons
ourselves, and this list is an international list. Any potential
fall-out will not be restricted to US sites.

As always, practice good judgement, vigilance and common
sense.

-geoff

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, at 12:45 PM, Rich Puhek wrote:

> Has anyone seen, or does anyone anticipate any security threats on the
> Internet or Internet-based attacks on any given targets in connection
> with this mornings terroristic attacks on the World Trade Center and the
> Pentagon?
>
> I hadn't considered the possibility, assuming that parties that would
> fly planes into buildings aren't likely to be interested in writing
> viruses. We did have one customer voluntarily disable their Internet
> connection for the next 24-hours out of concern for "viruses". They said
> something about a warning from the FBI. The FBI's website is apparantly
> unreachable (or overloaded) at the moment.
>
> --Rich

> Rich Puhek
> ETN Systems Inc.

Geoff Galitz |
UC Berkeley | D'oh!
galitz@uclink.berkeley.edu |

  • Risks Digest 27.23
    ... More cyberscares from our governments ... Risks of using other people's libraries ... Firm Is Accused of Sending Spam, and Fight Jams Internet ... attacks on the Internet, causing widespread congestion and jamming crucial ...
    (comp.risks)
  • Risks Digest 25.28
    ... Internet attacks against Georgian web sites ... How reliable is DNA ...? ...
    (comp.risks)
  • Re: Dubious distinction for Estonia (part 2)
    ... there are going to be fights on the Internet," said Hillar Aarelaid, the ... or ethnic Russian sources in retaliation for the removal of the statue. ... The Estonians note that an Internet address involved in the attacks ... staggering the biggest Estonian bank and overwhelming ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Risks Digest 28.24
    ... ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS ... Squirrels are now performing coordinated attacks ... Why Internet voting is a very dangerous idea (Ken Shotting, ... It has been a while since a report appeared in RISKS of a squirrel chewing ...
    (comp.risks)
  • Cyber Warfare
    ... Defences against cyberwarfare are still rudimentary. ... Yes-unless the attacks came over the internet. ... hackers out of important government computers. ...
    (soc.culture.china)