Re: Solaris 10 necessary file question

Rogier Mulhuijzen wrote:

mail and local (to local) mail. I'm not sure the www account owns any
files on a default install, but if it does, I expect them to be part of
a web administration thingy. If you install or need Apache at any point,

Solaris does not have a "www" account although it does have a
"webservd" which does appear to own a file things:

blackhole$ grep webservd /var/sadm/install/contents
/var/apache2/logs d none 0755 webservd webservd SUNWapch2r
/var/apache2/proxy d none 0755 webservd webservd SUNWapch2r

It was created for use by the Apache 2.0 service.

make sure it is configured to run using the nobody user, or keep the www
user.

No! No one should be using the "nobody" account unless it is
to support NFS services:

blackhole$ grep nobody /etc/passwd
nobody:x:60001:60001:NFS Anonymous Access User:/:
nobody4:x:65534:65534:SunOS 4.x NFS Anonymous Access User:/:

The web server should use webservd (which it does by default with the
Apache 2.0 in Solaris 10). For Apache 1.0, there is a bug filed
already: 4806419

If you need an account for your web server, use webservd or create
a new one for it. That way, access to that service, its processes,
its configs and its data can be more easily controlled.

  • RE: :Oracle problem
    ... Depending on your version of apache etc depends on how ... I am able to run make install and also to run perl programs that access ... is a web server, and my problem is when I try to access the database ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: Install
    ... The first step says to install PHP on my computer or an computer. ... Php is usually used side-by-side with a web server. ... such as the Apache web server. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Install
    ... The first step says to install PHP on my computer or an computer. ... Php is usually used side-by-side with a web server. ... such as the Apache web server. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: A Generic Question
    ... To a web server a .htm file is just another .htm file. ... You'll need to review the Apache documentation (for starters verify you can ... install a Unix web server to Windows XP) and refer to an Apache web server ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)
  • Apache for AIX 5.2
    ... I have a P655 running AIX 5.2. ... Web guys wanted to move web server off ... IBM's Apache implementation off the Bonus CD that came with AIX 5.3 base ... Could not figure out how to install, ...
    (AIX-L)