Re: LDAP in Unix

Stephen Booth wrote:
listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 27/09/2006 08:57:25:
2. There is no /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files on the individual
hosts
anymore or they are not of any importance. All the passwords are
stored only in the Directory server.

Those files are still there and can still be used. As well as your LDAP users (i.e. those whose details are held in the LDAP directory) you'll have local users whose details are stored in the local files. You can specify what order they are checked in using the nsswitch.conf file, you always want the /etc/passwd file to be used in case the machine cannot get a connection to the LDAP server. Generally if a user has an entry in the LDAP directory then you wouldn't want them to be in the /etc/passwd file and visa versa. Obviously the root user has to be /etc/passwd file as you're likely to need that before the network comes up or if you lose connection to the LDAP server (e.g. network outage, LDAP is down, migrating subnets &c).

Stephen

To reduce the risk of being unable to connect to the LDAP server, setup 2 (or more) servers and configure replication, this is *really* simple with SunONE DS (point-and-click easy).

--jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
    ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: LDAP+TLS problems
    ... Without TLS everything connects just fine, ... Make sure your private key is readable by the "ldap" user. ... then the server expects the client to present a client certificate. ... the initially unencrypted connection. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: LDAP & Find People not working
    ... need to refer to the KB article below to know how to use LDAP: ... | Yes, the scanner is on the local area network, so as you indicated below, ... | So I wonder why the scanner does not see the LDAP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • slapd - slow starting
    ... contact LDAP server ... then slapd started fine but I without ldap in nsswitch.conf I cant ... # The user ID attribute (defaults to uid) ... # SSL enabled. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Configuring LDAP on Entourage 2004 OS X
    ... On the SBS server box, open Server Management console, navigate to ... by companies that are independent of Microsoft. ... Configuring LDAP on Entourage 2004 OS X ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)