root group in solaris

Hi,

I would like to give root user privileges to a set of OS
administrators. Everyone has individual user-ids on the system.
Currently they login with their personal ID and then SU to root. I
donot want to share root password with these many people.

I am thinking of adding all these users to the "root" group[GID 0].
Will it provide root-equivalent UID O access to these users. If not
why ? Does the "root" group not have root user-id equivalent
privileges?

Is it possible manually to make the GID 0 privileges equivalant of UID O?

How else can I give these individual users root privileges - make all
of them UID 0 or something.? Is that a smart idea?

I am looking at something simpler than SUDO or RBAC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... from a terminal emulator and log in as root there. ... terminal-emulator windows open, ... The script, suid-root utility, or whatever would ... the command interpreter with root privileges ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: theoretical question - can roots username be changed?
    ... >> called 'root' on any given Linux box, ... >> unrestrained privileges, why would it be feeble to double the ... >> changing his username. ... > try to change the operation of a process already running at UID ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: root group in solaris :Thankyou
    ... Stick to sudo or RBAC. ... The root group is nothing special. ... Making UID O ... >>I would like to give root user privileges to a set of OS ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: creating a user with only read permissions on all files
    ... the OS itself needs a UID for certain privileged ... So, while 'root' is the administrator, UID 0 /is/ the OS. ... access to the OS privileges to one user, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Apache and home directories (file browser).
    ... You don't chroot to a uid, you generally 'drop' privileges to a uid. ... When you start Apache, you need to start it as root, then it drops ... If you have suexec ...
    (freebsd-isp)