BSM and syslog... why should I consider the first?

From: Simone Vernacchia (simonevernacchia_at_yahoo.it)
Date: 07/08/05

    Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:18:42 +0200
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    Hello everyone,

    I'm working on a Security program for a large infrastructure.
    I have to deal with Sun Solaris, and I was wondering why I should
    consider logging via BSM and not syslog.
    System admins have a good knowledge of syslog, and I can standardize
    logging in different UNIX OSes easily if I use it.
    Is there some breaking feature which could make me prefer BSM?
    Is there a reason to use syslog and BSM?

    Thanks in advance,
    G0k

    • Re: BSM and syslog... why should I consider the first?
      ... >consider logging via BSM and not syslog. ... >logging in different UNIX OSes easily if I use it. ... >Is there some breaking feature which could make me prefer BSM? ... BSM is auditing for Solaris, ...
      (Focus-SUN)
    • RE: BSM and syslog... why should I consider the first?
      ... Subject: BSM and syslog... ... >logging in different UNIX OSes easily if I use it. ... BSM is auditing for Solaris, ...
      (Focus-SUN)
    • Re: Logging and Auditing of a HP-UX box
      ... Would members of this group kindly tell me the auditing and logging ... You can expect the syslog system to be always enabled, ... All syslog messages consist of a level identifier, ... commands to control the audit log system from the command ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] pix 501 logging question
      ... it's a deny, right?), which would lead to more syslog data from persistent ... log level for access-list logging is 6, but if you can see one you should ... You don't need to force the PIX to log these denials, ... access-list inbound permitted tcp outside/205.206.xxx.xxx-> ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)