Experiences using 'enhanced' Solaris features: BSM, extended ACLs, RBAC

From: valken (valken007_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/18/05

    To: <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:46:11 -0500

    All,

    I'm currently working on enhancing my company's Solaris standards. We are a
    major accounting and professional services firm, and are involved in many
    reviews of Solaris security from both audit and consulting perspectives.
    There are many areas that I am in the process of testing and incorporating
    into our methodology for these reviews, including BSM, extended ACLs and
    RBAC.

    Most of the clients that I work with are not currently using any of these
    functionalities in their Solaris environments. I would be curious to hear
    from anyone out there who is:

    - using BSM to audit activities on their Solaris servers, including what
    your experience was with tuning it to balance the detail of the audit trail
    with the sheer amount of events it can generate,

    - using extended ACLs to provide fine-grained access controls to files or
    directories, or

    - using RBAC to split up the power of the root account.

    Thanks,

    Valken

    Valken007@yahoo.com

    • Re: Sun Certification
      ... I have long since give up reading a book which clearly should have been better titled "Solaris 9 for complete idiots" rather than "Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 Study ... What reason can there possibly be on a book aimed at Solaris admins taking the Sun exams to explain what the 'cd' command does? ... It's interesting why the reviews on Amazon seem to differ so wildly from my opinions. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: IDS Error - VP Notify
      ... I've just had the same problem, but with a solaris ... Solaris patch information for the IBM Informix Dynamic Server ... Location of Shared Memory ... Configuring the Operating System Audit Subsystem: ...
      (comp.databases.informix)
    • Solaris 10 BSM Auditing help
      ... I am new to Solaris 10 and I am seeking some assistance with the ... following auditing configuration in Solaris 10. ... I would like to know if it is possible to edit the audit classes ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Solaris 10 BSM Auditing help
      ... I am new to Solaris 10 and I am seeking some assistance with the ... following auditing configuration in Solaris 10. ... I would like to know if it is possible to edit the audit classes ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Solaris 10 BSM Auditing help
      ... I am new to Solaris 10 and I am seeking some assistance with the ... following auditing configuration in Solaris 10. ... I would like to know if it is possible to edit the audit classes ...
      (comp.sys.sun.admin)