Experiences using 'enhanced' Solaris features: BSM, extended ACLs, RBAC

From: valken (valken007_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/18/05

    To: <focus-sun@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:46:11 -0500

    All,

    I'm currently working on enhancing my company's Solaris standards. We are a
    major accounting and professional services firm, and are involved in many
    reviews of Solaris security from both audit and consulting perspectives.
    There are many areas that I am in the process of testing and incorporating
    into our methodology for these reviews, including BSM, extended ACLs and
    RBAC.

    Most of the clients that I work with are not currently using any of these
    functionalities in their Solaris environments. I would be curious to hear
    from anyone out there who is:

    - using BSM to audit activities on their Solaris servers, including what
    your experience was with tuning it to balance the detail of the audit trail
    with the sheer amount of events it can generate,

    - using extended ACLs to provide fine-grained access controls to files or
    directories, or

    - using RBAC to split up the power of the root account.

    Thanks,

    Valken

    Valken007@yahoo.com