non crypt() password problems

From: Kapetanakis Giannis (bilias_at_edu.physics.uoc.gr)
Date: 10/12/04

    Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:50:41 +0300 (EEST)
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    Hello,

    I've changed the default algorithm to be used with password hashing
    from __unix__ to md5 in /etc/security/policy.conf.

    In order to change the root password I had to reset it
    to an empty field in shadow and then run passwd to put
    the new md5 password. The default behavior is to detect the
    algorith used in the old password and apply the same in
    the new one. I don't know if this a feature or a bug.

    The password is accepted by sshd and it works sweet :)
    Nevertheless /usr/sadm/bin/smpatch does not accept the md5 password.
    If I change back to the crypt() password everything is ok.

    Options 1,2a in CRYPT_DEFAULT do not work either with smpatch.

    I though I should report this.

    Kapetanakis Giannis