Re: Security Configuration Settings?

From: Gregory Hicks (ghicks_at_cadence.com)
Date: 09/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
    To: mr.nasty@ix.netcom.com, focus-sun@securityfocus.com, jdavid@skynet.be

    > From: "Jan David" <jdavid@skynet.be>
    > Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:24:48 +0200
    >
    > The compat setting allows you to add an extra pseudo database called
    > 'passwd_compat'. Here you can specify an alternative database, next to
    > files.
    >
    > E.g.:
    >
    > passwd: compat
    > passwd_compat: ldap
    >
    > The meaning of this is as follows: Search the local /etc/passwd file and if
    > you encounter any entries with the "+" or "-" syntax, process them and look
    > them up in LDAP. Of course, if you're using NIS, put nis as the keyword. The
    > same goes for nis+.
    >
    > In your /etc/passwd file, you can now have such entries as:
    >
    > +elcochino:x:::::

    The thing you must be careful with is to ensure that the "x" is not
    present when you add the string above to /etc/passwd. Whatever is in
    the /etc/passwd file for "compat" entries OVER-RIDES what is in
    LDAP/NIS... And there are not *too* many hash functions that will take
    a "normal" password and give back ONE char - the "x"... So the string
    to add to /etc/passwd is:

    +elcochino::::::

    This tells the system to get ALL user info from LDAP/NIS. After you
    add the line, be sure to run pwconv to sync /etc/passwd and
    /etc/shadow.

    Compat mode also allows you to add netgroups instead of lists of users
    to passwd.

    Instead of adding bunches of users, you can add +@netgroup:::::: to
    /etc/passwd.

    Regards,
    Gregory Hicks

    > Meaning that the user "elcochine" can be found in the LDAP database and is
    > allowed access to the system.
    > This mechanism also allows you to use netgroups. E.g:
    >
    > +@sysadmins:x:::::
    >
    > This would allow all the users in the NIS (or LDAP) netgroup called
    > 'sysadmins' to have access to the system.
    >
    > Make sure that the /etc/shadow file has the same entries and that the
    > password field is empty (I use LDAP at work and if the password field in
    > /etc/shadow is not empty for a netgroup, nobody from that group can login).
    >
    > Note that there is also a similar system for groups:
    >
    > group: compat
    > group_compat: nis [nis+] [ldap]
    >
    > Now that we've covered this topic, let me just state that it is impossible
    > to create a secure system if you're using NIS. Since nis is inherently
    > insecure, there is no way of securing the machine.
    >
    > At the very least use something like nis+ (I wouldn't use it because of the
    > complexity) or even better ldap (but also with encrypted communication).
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Jan

    Gregory Hicks | Principal Systems Engineer
    Cadence Design Systems | Direct: 408.576.3609
    555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1 | Fax: 408.894.3400
    San Jose, CA 95134 | Internet: ghicks@cadence.com

    I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely
    learn a great deal today.

    "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    decision." - Benjamin Franklin