Security Configuration Settings?

From: El C0chin0 (mr.nasty_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/21/04

    Date: 21 Sep 2004 13:34:33 -0000
    To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    Im in the process of trying to secure a SunOS name 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R, using settings per http://sabernet.home.comcast.net/papers/Solaris.html. I have a few questions about the settings and due to the fact that this box is supposed to look as much like a production box but I have no budget for things like 'stronghold' etc. I must use as much free ware as possible.

    On the above mentioned page under "Access Controls" section 4 'Only add accounts for users who require access to the system. If using NIS, use the compat mode by editing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file:

    passwd: compat'

    I don't understand and haven't been able to find anything related to what describes 'compat'. Can any one provide me with why it is a good measure to change this from 'files' to 'compat' and what other changes may be necessary or what exactly is the difference?

    Thanks

    I can only hope the moderators of this group find this worthy of being posted.

    • Is "passwd: files compat" a valid configuration in nsswitch.conf?
      ... On a Solaris 9 server (LDAP client) I recently experienced a very heavy ... The system's nsswitch.conf is set "passwd: compat" with the following ... I can see this configuration in nsswitch.conf has been referenced before ...
      (SunManagers)
    • passwd_compat and netgroups
      ... '+@somenetgroup' in our passwd and shadow files to control access to ... compat mode will not longer function ... properly with netgroup declarations in passwd and shadow files. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: [opensuse] sssd getent shows only local users
      ... Is it possible to get all the objects listed always with getent under sssd? ... passwd: compat sss ... users appearing on "getent passwd". ...
      (SuSE)
    • NSSwitch settings on 5.4
      ... passwd: files ldap ... passwd: compat ... passwd_compat: nis ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Unable to change user password??
      ... I am having trouble changing my user password. ... Supported configurations for passwd management are as follows: ... passwd: compat AND ... I have called the sysadmin but he must in a meeting or gone for the ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)