RE: Solaris 9 authentication and access control into Active Directory

From: Myers, Mike (Mike.Myers_at_nwdc.net)
Date: 09/14/04

    Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:16:42 -0700
    To: "Ron Ogle" <ogler@tce.com>, focus-sun@securityfocus.com

    We have been looking at a similar project except that it needs to be cross platform (Solaris and HP-UX).

    We found some limitations in the SEAM product (and to be honest, HP's product as well) in that if the user was in too many Windows group the PAC (Privilege Access Certificate?) which gets tagged onto the end of the Kerberos ticket by AD causes the ticket to exceed the size that will fit in a single UDP packet. The AD server would return an error (52/0x34) which SEAM said was "undefined" because it was at the time SEAM last pulled source from MIT but has subsequently been defined as "RESPONSE_TOO_BIG." The client is supposed to switch to TCP and redo the request, but SEAM doesn't know this and bails.

    We put requests in to both vendors to fix this and neither seemed really excited to do it. Sun's response was, "It'll be in Solaris 10..."

    Given that level of support, we started looking at commercial vendors and found a company called Vintela who has a pretty nice package called "Vintela Authentication Services" which is cross platform and has some other nice features (eg. a nice snap in to manage the Active Directory side of things in MMC, etc.).

    I just today received notice that they've released a new version which at first glace appears to address some of our concerns when we demoed the software a few months back.

    Generally the company seems very eager to please and willing to integrate changes that we asked for.

    Cheers,
     - Mike Myers, Mike.Myers <at> nwdc.net

    • SUMMARY: Solaris vs. HP-UX
      ... Here are some URLs that provide a lot of information on Solaris vs. HP-UX: ... Always seems to me your dollar goes a lot farther buying Sun equipment opposed ... Cluster Server over HP-UX with MC-Service Guard and lvm. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: Any major differences between Solaris and HP-UX?
      ... > desktop users) to HP/UX? ... > under Windows without the need for Sambe. ... Solaris and HP-UX) while you embark on a flight of fancy? ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
    • Re: Work for hp-ux
      ... For example, Mac OS Classic comes to mind, MsDOS together with DOS-based Windows, or some versions of Linux or Linux distributions come to mind. ... There even were HP-UX and Solaris releases that fall into that category. ... And I also can't see why this should be the case for making Solaris OSS, as it primarily did cost Sun money to do that. ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
    • Re: Urgent : QUERCY sous HP-UX 11.0, compilation probleme gcc 3.2
      ... Notre binaire, qui fonctionne ... > sous Linux et Solaris, se bloque d?s la premi?re fonction de la ... > Cette librairie est d?crite comme fonctionnant sous HP-UX. ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
    • Re: HP vs SUN - Comparision
      ... HP-UX has no coolness or bleeding-edge factor as Solaris does, ... migrating to a new architecture requires sysadmin ... > fiber cards on each server, dual SAN Switches, Dual VA7410 arrays, etc. ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)